Roosters were released in the 1960s several miles from Fitzgerald and they somehow made their way to our downtown area. You either "love 'em" or "hate 'em"! Fitzgerald hosts the 'Wild Chicken Festival" each year.
The Festival will be held downtown on Main Street on Saturday, March 21, 2009.
Dorminy-Massey House was built in 1915 and first used as Capt. J.J. Daniels house. The house was converted into a bed and breakfast in 1997. Each of the six guest rooms are decorated in themes and have their own personalities, the Blue and Gray room, the Jefferson Davis room, the P.H. Fitzgerald room, the Fitzgerald room, the Lee Grant room, and Eulalie's Room, named in honor of the late owner.
The 5 Story Plaza building is currently the gift shop, Bella Rue Plaza, is located on the bottom floor of the historic Garbutt-Donovan Building.
The Grand Theatre is located on South Main Street and was originally constructed in the 1920s, it burned and was rebuilt in 1933. It still retains many of the characteristics of its original style, including the glass brick facade on the second floor and a huge rainbow-colored neon marquee. The theatre accommodates major touring productions and movies every week.
The Carnegie Center first started out as a library, which opened on March 1,1915. The library contained 20 shelves of adult books and 15 shelves of children's books. The building was restored in May of 2007. Most of the architectural details remain. The shelves now display local artwork. The art gallery is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The center is also available to rent for personal functions.